A Dreampunk Manifesto
- Dreampunk is not a real thing. But neither is cyberpunk. Neither is science fiction, fantasy, transrealism, avant-pulpism, or the new weird. Divisions between genres are entirely artificial. They are valid only to the extent that they inform the reader and inspire the writer.
- Dreaming is to story as thought is to language, as mind is to matter.
- Novelty, spectacle, titillation, escapism, and humor are all spices to be used liberally, but the nourishment a story provides is meaningful vicarious experience. Honesty is essential.
- As a dreampunk, I revere the unconscious mind above conscious machinations. I respect intuition and recognize the magnitude of my own ignorance.
- I resist all outside efforts to subvert and co-opt my free will. Of particular concern are large organizations such as governments, corporations, religions, and secret societies.
- I respect personal privacy but abhor organizational secrecy.
- I revere the ineffable beauty of nature. I seek to love, not to hate. I seek to support, not to destroy. I seek to understand, not to condemn.
- That said, wherever I encounter evil, it is my duty to bring it to light so that others may avoid it.
- I revere the moon, a symbol of the impossible yet manifest—an enormous rock floating steadily above our heads, never changing course, never even turning its face. It calls to me, an avowed lunatic.
- I thank my readers for their time and attention. Every story is a love letter to them.
Next: Profile Interviews